How often should I have a dental exam and cleaning?
It’s standard practice to have a dental exam and cleaning once every six months. Depending on your dental health, your dentist may recommend more frequent cleanings.
How can I tell if I have gingivitis or periodontitis (gum disease)?
You need a licensed dentist to properly diagnose gingivitis or gum disease, but there are signs to look for, including: bleeding gums, sore or tender gums, and build-up of plaque around the base of the tooth. If you fear you may have gingivitis or gum disease, call us to schedule an appointment for diagnosis and treatment.
Why is it important to use dental floss?
Brushing is important, but a toothbrush cannot reach in between the teeth to remove plaque. Without removing that plaque, it can build up and get down to the base of the tooth, causing damage to your teeth, gums, and even the jaw bone.
How often should I brush and floss?
You should brush your teeth with an ADA-approved soft-bristle brush at least twice a day (especially right before bedtime), with suggested brushings after sugary snacks. You should also floss daily to clean out the plaque between the teeth and under the gum line.
What is cosmetic dentistry, and how is it different from general dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is focused on improving and preserving the aesthetic appearance of your smile, whereas general dentistry is used to restore and maintain the health of your teeth and gums.
What are some examples of cosmetic dentistry procedures?
Cosmetic dentistry includes several procedures for improving the aesthetic look of your smile.
Some cosmetic procedures include:
• Teeth Whitening • Contouring/Tooth Reshaping • Bonding • Bridges • Veneers • Dental Implants • Tooth-Colored Fillings
What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is a process using a form of hydrogen peroxide to bleach stained parts of the teeth. Not all teeth-whitening procedures will work the same way for all patients, so you should discuss teeth whitening with your dentist before deciding whether or not certain procedures are right for you.
How can veneers improve my smile?
Porcelain veneers are individually-crafted, tooth-shaped porcelain shells that cover the front of the teeth. Because they are durable and do not stain, they are popular options for people who are looking to restore their smile.
Veneers have shown to be effective in restoring or correcting the following dental conditions:
• Severely Discolored or Stained Teeth • Unwanted or Uneven Spaces • Worn or Chipped Teeth
• Slight Tooth Crowding • Misshapen Teeth • Teeth That Are Too Small or Large
What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics (or dentofacial orthopedics) is the specialized dental process of diagnosing, preventing, and treating dental and facial abnormalities.
How can I take care of my teeth if I’m wearing braces or a retainer?
• ALWAYS brush your teeth after EVERY meal, and floss thoroughly at least once a day.
• Prevent cavities by using a toothpaste that contains fluoride. Your orthodontist or dentist may also recommend a fluoride rinse.
• Take extra care to protect your retainer, keeping it in its container to avoid it being lost and broken when you take it out to eat.
• Use a toothbrush and toothpaste to gently brush your retainer and keep it clean. Your family orthodontist may also suggest a denture cleanser, but DO NOT put your retainer in boiling water or the dishwasher.
• Avoid eating sugary foods during your treatment, as they can increase the amount of bacteria in your mouth, resulting in more plaque and potential for cavities.
• Stay away from eating sticky and chewy food that could result in food being stuck in the braces (caramel, chewing gum, gummy bears, hard candy, nuts, ice cubes, corn on the cob, soft bagels, ribs, taffy, etc.)
• Keep up-to-date on routine checkups with your family dentist, scheduling visits at least every six months.
If I get braces, how long do I have to wear them?
Every patient is different and every patient responds differently to treatment. Generally, treatment can take between 6 and 30 months with an average of about 22 months.